EAB: Treatment Options
Emerald Ash Borer Management Strategies
Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) is a devastating invasive pest that can kill ash trees within 1-3 years after symptoms of attack become evident. EAB has killed tens of millions of ash trees in the Midwestern and Eastern United States during the past 10 years, and the infestation area is spreading rapidly. University research has demonstrated that Safari® Insecticide can help protect ash trees from EAB.
Due to its unique chemical properties (high solubility and low binding to organic matter), high amounts of Safari are rapidly absorbed by ash trees and then transported in the vascular system to where EAB larvae feeds. This results in faster control of EAB than with less systemic products and also extends the application window later in the season.
EAB does not have to be a death sentence for ash trees. Systemic insecticides are effective at protecting ash trees from EAB infestation and can also be used to save trees already showing early signs of infestation.
- Will not stop EAB spread
- Trees do not show symptoms until 1-4 years after infestation
- High rate of success
- Preventive or early curative application is key to success
Combination of 1 and 2
- Treat signature/high-profile trees
- Remove stressed or less desirable trees
Product Choice Considerations
- Efficacy is NOT the only consideration
- Also consider:
- Speed of application (labor)
- Ease of application (applicator training)
- Flexibility of application (use methods)
- Customer budget (cost)
- Level of tree injury (preventive vs. curative)
- Time of application (season)
Because Safari is highly systemic, it penetrates the bark into the xylem when applied to the trunk and is then quickly transported upwards to where pests feed.
- Control of EAB adults and larvae + proven performance on other pests like scale
- Super-systemic activity = trees absorb faster and more efficiently compared to less soluble products
- Extended application window compared to less soluble products
- High maximum labeled use rate = improved control in large trees
- Provides one year of control
- Unmatched speed, ease and flexibility of application
- Only active ingredient registered for EAB as a basal trunk spray
Safari Insecticide is also available for homeowners who prefer a do-it-yourself approach to tree and shrub care. Tree & Shrub Insect Control with Safari 2 G Insecticide is available at local lawn and garden stores across the country. Visit www.greenlightco.com to purchase Tree & Shrub online or locate the retailer nearest you.